Friday, February 19, 2010

Growing up before my eyes!!!

Is it possible that my 6 1/2 year old is going on 20? I have seen recent changes in Grady that are somewhat exciting and new, and on the other hand, nerve-wracking!

The biggest change - Grady has his first crush. I may have told some of you already, but his first crush is a life guard at the YMCA where he is taking swim lessons. I must admit - at least he has good taste! I first noticed it when he kept looking over at her and when she would come over to where he was in the pool, he would get his embarrassed look all over his face. He would be polite and talk to her, but nervousness was still apparent! Ryan (of course!) didn't notice a thing, until I told him to watch. I asked Grady about her later and he got all nervous! I was very careful in not embarrassing him. However, it my part of my personality to inquire and poke as much as possible without stressing him out too much! (That is one of the joys of being a mom!!!) :) I don't know the life guards name and he noticed on his own that she wasn't at swim lessons last night. Grady has only one more week until he is done and will start soccer. I asked him what he was going to do then - much grinning, but no words spoken! :)

Grady is also a smart kiddo. Learning comes easy for him and I am so glad for that, not only as his teacher, but also as someone who struggles to learn new ideas and concepts. Sometimes he reads too much - unappropriate billboards, emails that I have left open on the computer, etc. I truly enjoy Grady in my classroom even though he is ADD to the MAX!!!

The other big change with him is that he is going to start wearing deodrant!!! Yes, I know, he is only 6 - but he stinks when he sweats!!! He takes a shower on his own (which is nice just to send him to his bathroom and tell him to take a shower!) and I am assuming he is washing, but after activities like Gym, AWANA, etc. he starts a'stinkin'! I am handing that one over to Ryan to deal with instructions, etc. I know this will come much better from Dad rather that bossy ole mom! I can't believe one of my sons is wearing deodrant! It blows my mind that they are getting so old!

Another thing that Grady is doing is being so responsible with his money. He has a wallet and a bank that he works from. The money in his wallet is his to spend as he wants - there is usually a $20 max to the wallet! And his bank is more for saving for what he wants that costs more money! We are getting ready to re-vamp our chore charts around here seeing as Grady can do more and Ridge needs his easier jobs to take over. So I am thinking about up-ping his allowance each week. We are pretty cheap around here and for most chores, that's just part of being a family that you don't get paid for! However, things like helping me out by pushing the grocery cart at the grocery store because my back can't handle it right now, he gets paid for. (And yes, sisters, it is more than a penny!) :)

As Grady gets older - I think about what kind of friend, brother, man, boyfriend, (and God-forbid) husband I want him to be. Of all the character traits I want him to keep that he already possess - I find that I want him to turn out just like his daddy. Ryan was raised well and am truly appreciative to all his parents and other influences that made him the man/husband/father he is. I want that for Grady and his future family. I want that precious innocence kept, that shy but polite guy that finds laughter in everything he can, that helpful spirit that comes naturally to him. I pray all the time that God keeps those qualities in Grady - he is a great son to be raising and has a great role model to learn from God and Ryan!

I love you Grady Ryan Batchelor!
hoping to train my child like my husband

No comments:

Post a Comment