Friday, September 3, 2010

So About This Little Guy...

Don't let these cute little pictures be deceiving - because that is exactly what he wants - you eating out of the palm of his hand!

We have had quite the power struggle with this little terd, I mean, child here lately! Behavior was starting to get worse on vacation....and then we came home. I think he left his brain in Colorado somewhere because he was no conforming to the "Batchelor Way!"

Anders is a very, very strong-willed child. Ryan and I were talking that we think he is more strong-willed than Ellison....and that's saying A LOT!

He has learned that I cannot (properly for him!) discipline him in public. Soooo, we had a jammed-packed week this week after returning from vacation and we were out and about a lot. At one point, I had to stop all the children - let Anders throw his temper tantrum for AN HOUR in the library (of all places!) and let him compose himself! After dealing with that - we moved on to the next place and again - he threw another tantrum. The next day we were at the park playing while the older 3 kiddos had gym class. He decided he didn't want to eat the lunch provided - of which my usual mantra is - whatever, you will be hungry later! It just seemed to me with that tantrum that he was just set in about getting his way.

Soooo, I decided to "put on the gloves" and we were going to have it out! So we did! I told him that if he chose not to finish his lunch now - then that was what he was going to be eating that night for dinner. I am guessing you know where this is leading....

Flash forward to dinner-time...

Mom sets the table for dinner - and out she whips Anders lunch! His eyes were as big as planets! Guess he thought I was bluffin'! No-sir-ee! Chow down Mr. Big-Pants!

He sat there for 2 hours while we moved on about our business. I mowed the lawn, Ryan headed up shower rotation, etc. It came time for Hudson and Anders to take their baths and Anders still wasn't done. Not only was he not done - he hadn't touched A THING! Mr. Anders loves him some tubbie-time, so I told him that it was time to take his bath and that he was going to miss it since he was not done with his dinner. Yeah - he didn't like that one too much! Still didn't motivate him enough to eat though! So I decided to pull out "The Big Guns". I told Ryan that I was going to take his pacifiers if he still chose not to eat. Ryan was hesitant, but agreed. Grandma's don't get too upset - he wasn't going to have them long anyways, when you turn 2 - you loose all sucking devices - thumbs, paci's etc.

I explained what was going to happen with the paci's and again, wailing occurred. (always a good sign!) However, my hopes were dashed when he still didn't eat. I gave him one more warning and he started to eat. Yay, I thought, I'm winning the battle! I walked around the corner to check on bath status with Hudson and came back. In the short 1 minute Anders spit all the food out of his mouth and made a complete mess! Whew - the anger was burning inside me as I just walked away. Ryan got the seat cleaned up and I told him he was now going to have to take a bath, but it was going to be cold.

So in the cold bath he went - which again - caused lots of screaming and wailing! (one would think he would start getting the point here!) At one point, I looked back at Ryan with huge tears welled up in my eyes and he gave me an encouraging smile and said keep at it! So we got done with shivering bath and talked about what all went on.

He still ended up losing his paci's because he spit his food out, but he ended up with a much better attitude for the rest of the week so far! Anders is a tricky one! He sure is cute with those large blue eyes and loooooong eyelashes, but he sure can be a stinker too! I tell him all the time, that he got his stubborness honestly, but Ryan and I both think it will take him far in life!!!

We love you Anders William! But you are a strong one!!! Phew!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds so much like my boys! After 3 years, we are finally getting through to Titus, but Hudson has decided to pick up the mantle. Ugh. And he used to be sweet. We have had SUCH battles with him. I'm glad to hear we're not alone, but wow, what a long road we have ahead of us!

    Al

    ReplyDelete