Friday, September 10, 2010

Colorado Vacation - Day 2's Adventures...

So here's our adventures for our second day of vacation! Seven Falls is in Colorado Springs and we were a little misrepresented when reading the website information. However, we made it work . . . . "Batchelor-style". . .

This is where the misrepresentation comes in - here are the stairs to the top of the falls where we were led to think we would do some hiking. No problem, since there was an elevator....because taking 6 small children up those stairs would be a silly thing to do! So we went up in the elevator...
only to discover....
this was the only way up.....(see picture below!)

Here is another picture of those lovely stairs that we wouldn't dare try to take 6 small children!


Now is where the grandmas in the bunch might want to stop reading! Heart-Attack City is about to follow....

First, let me explain - Ryan and I thought we would go up the elevator and then do the 2 hikes around at the top of the falls. The kids were looking foward to it! We had brought our lunch, so it was going to be picnic-style and they were excited about this!!


Hmmm, so here's probably where we should have had better judgement as parents of the above mentioned kiddo-clan.

But a promise is a promise, right?! Let's just remember that we had promised them a picnic at the top of the waterfalls.

So the misleading information forced us to climb all 224 STEPS to the top to do our hiking. The elevator went to a ledge across the way from the stairs with only a viewing deck.


Sooooo, up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up times 224 we went!
Here was the gameplan:
Grady and Ellie went first.
Then Ryan with Anders in the backpack and holding Hudson's hand. (his theory here was that he was going to stop the bigger kids from falling if they started to go!)
Then I started in with Caylor strapped to my front (let's just make an observation here that if someone is strapped in front of you - you can't see down to make a firm step!)
And then I had a death grip - I mean, I held Ridge's hand.
Now, we all remember that I am terriried of heights and totally HATE open spaces, right?! Yeah, what I was thinking, I'll never know! I guess those 6 little faces that looked up to me and begged me to go up was what convinced me!
The above picture is halfway up at the little turn-out spot.
The picture below is all the way at the top. I am surprised I am not blurry from shaking so badly!
**Funny story - So Grady, half-way up the second set of stairs - starts yelling that he can't do it. So, I yell in my already shaky-voice, yes you can, because I am NOT turning around now! Then I started singing Jesus Loves Me and we were somewhat distracted the rest of the way up!



So we did our 2 hikes up at the top of the falls. This one was called Inspiration Point which was about a mile. It was REALLY, REALLY steep and again, not sure we made such a "Good Judgement Call of Six Young Children", but we headed further anyways! At one point, I remember thinking, that we are pretty stupid to be attempting this! I am guessing that is what some of the other people were thinking as well! One "team" with 2 ladies who spoke very little English asked to take our picture. I thought she meant with our camera, however, it was with her camera to take home! I can hear here now,"Look at these stupid people who endangered their children's lives... "


But alas, we made it to the top. We ended up hiking the other trail as well that was less steep and more calming for Mommy's nerves. It was another 1 mile hike that I actually had fun on!
However, I knew this was coming....
























Yes, the dreaded trek down the 224 steps! My stomach just flips again looking at this one! The sheer fright in my body was incredible! What was really bad was that once safe and sound on solid ground, my husband mentions that he was a little nervous going down as well. WHAT?!?!?! He is a rock climber and I don't think I have EVER seen him scared of any kind of climb or what not!
Just to help the grandma's out - we did switch order:
Ryan in front with Anders again strapped to him, and holding Hudson's hand.
Then Grady and Ellie (again, Ryan was going to stop them from falling all the way to the ground!)
And then, last but not least was Mommy and her crew. I thought at one point I was going to have to sit on my bum to get all the way to the bottom. Ridge did great though and encouraged me the whole way. I kept telling him I was scared and he said that he was fine and would help me. I had to tell him several times to slow down and wait for Mommy and Caylor. He was incredible!!!



So then, on the way home we stopped at....


They were some pretty cool rock formations. Our plan was to get out and walk around the paths here looking at all of them, but the weather had other plans!




This one is called Balanced Rock - however, the picture doesn't do it justice.

We had a fun day - but less adreneline rushes would be fine with the Momma!

5 comments:

  1. You crack me up Jenny! I love that you conquered your fears to make memories for your kiddos! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are insane, and wonderful, all wrapped up in one! What gorgeous babies you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel and I visited these places on our trip to Colorado BEFORE kids. I cannot imagine doing all of those stairs with six kids. You're right, even looking at the pictures made me feel shaky.... Your kids will have memories to last a lifetime, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete