Friday, July 10, 2009

First Week of School Done!

So we started school this week - I now have a First Grader, a Kindergartner, and a Preschooler! Yikes! Things are busy to say the least! I have decided to do Math and Language Arts with G and R's preschool things in the morning. Then when the little boys go down for a nap, I do the other subjects with G and E.

They were very excited to start. I somewhat made a spur of the moment decision to start when I did. I usually start in July, however, since I committed to be the VBS Director at our church, I thought maybe I would start in Aug after VBS was over. I like having the flexibility of taking a day or week off here and there instead of a whole summer - too much information is lost in the heat of the summer months! :)

G has started several new things this year which include:
-Creative Writing with writing prompts. He needs some assistance in the creative department, so I thought this would be good for him to do 3 times a week!
-Spelling words weekly and Spelling Tests on Fridays. He started spelling last year at the tail end of K, so he is somewhat familiar with the format.
-Writing stories (well, paragraphs right now - moving into stories by the end of the year!). We are going through the writing process of generating ideas, prewriting, editing, revising, and final drafts, etc. Then on Fridays, I thought it would be nice for him to read his final writing piece "to the class". Well, G wanted his Daddy to hear his paragraph, so we decided to read it last night instead of today during school. I must admit, I teared up when G was standing in front of the "audience" on the couch. He was so proud of himself and all that he accomplished through the week. He read it with great feeling and was beaming by the end! He even wanted to read it again! We all clapped at the end and he took a bow! The tears were rolling by then!! :)

So that was our week in a nut shell! G has come out of his box a little by trying new things. E wants to read so badly - we are rushing through her letter sounds to get there! And R is just happy to finally have a spot at our school table! You all are welcome to come and see our school room whenever you want. The kids love to bring guests to school when they stay with us! I am soooo lucky that God has given me this chance to homeschool the crew so far! I truly enjoy doing school with them and seeing them learn is just amazing!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go G! We wish we could have been there to hear you read what you wrote. I am afraid that you are growing up too fast for us, but I'm sure, not for you. We hope we can help your mommy out with some field trips and participate more in your schooling this winter when we are closer to you. We love and miss you! Mammaw and Prapaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JEnny, out of curiosity from a newbie homeschooler, what curriculum do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm giving your site addy to my sister Lindsay. You two are in similar situations with the homeschooling and ages of kids. I think you two would like bouncing ideas off each other. Hope it's OK. I think I'll suggest a friendship on FB, too.

    ReplyDelete